Can you sue an Individual who made false statements that got you fired

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you sue an Individual who made false statements that got you fired

I was fired for inappropriate contact by a subordinate. Although this act never took place and I was never given the opportunity to defend myself or was even questioned about this I was fired and have had difficulties finding work in chosen field.

Asked on November 24, 2016 under Personal Injury, Alabama


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the individual for defamation, which is a false statement made with knowledge of its falsity communicated to a third person and the statement is injurious to your reputation.
Libel is written defamation.
Slander is oral defamation.
Each repetition of the defamatory statement is actionable in a lawsuit for defamation.
Your damages (monetary compensation ) in a lawsuit for defamation would include loss of employment, loss of friends  and associates, emotional distress, and if applicable, physical illness.
Your lawsuit must be filed with the court prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption