can you shoot someone for entering your home.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can you shoot someone for entering your home.

if a squatter moves into my home while I am out of town am I able to shoot them
for breaking and entering.

Asked on August 29, 2019 under Criminal Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot--not only because he is in your home. While your state does have a "castle doctrine" (as in, "a man's home is his castle") that affords more latitude to use deadly force in your home than outside it, it still requires that the intruder be obviously violent or aggressive, be threatening violence or harm, or be in the process of a committing a felony (a serious crime; e.g. robbery) *and* deadly force is reasonably believed to be necessary to stop him. If someone is simply squatting in your home when you get back and not offering any threat, violence, etc. and not in the process of *at that time* committing a felony, you cannot shoot them. If he is a peaceful squatter, you call the police.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption