Can you record a conversation without all parties consent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you record a conversation without all parties consent?

There was an incident at work where 3
people were arguing about something
that should of never of been brought up
at work. 1 of the parties recorded the
conversation without the other two
knowing and then complained to
management. Two of the parties are
currently suspended pending
investigation. The party that was
recording brings her personal life to
work and then complained when people
don’t agree with her.

Asked on June 15, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In MI, any party to a conversation may record it without the permission of the other parties. So her recording was legal. Additionally, absent an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary, a worker can be suspended (or even terminated) for any reason or no reason at all. This is true so long as no form of legally actionable discrimination is the reason for their treatment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption