Can you press charges for someone posting a sex tape of you online?

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you press charges for someone posting a sex tape of you online?

My roommate found out yesterday that her exboyfriend posted a sex tape of them online without her consent. The tape was up for 3 days before he took it down. The tape was made a few years ago, they were both 18, and she did consent to being videotaped. He is denying everything and swears he deleted the tape. She is afraid it’s posted elsewhere or that he’ll post it again. Are there any charges for him posting it without her consent?

Asked on August 27, 2012 under Uncategorized, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If she consents to the videotaping, the issue will be whether she consented to publishing the video.  If she did not consent to publication, the ex will have an issue with many state internet laws, harassment laws and of course invasion of privacy.  Many of these can be criminal actions (think of the college student who secretly videotaped his college roommate).  Your friend should consult an attorney immediately. The decision to call the police will become evident aftee that meeting. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption