Can you press charges against someone for breaking your camera?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you press charges against someone for breaking your camera?

So i was watching a video and these
young adults were at Walmart with a
video camera vlogging their daily life and
one of the employees walked up behind
him and knocking the camera out of his
hands, on to the ground and breaking the
screen. Could he press charges against
that employee for breaking his personal

Asked on June 15, 2017 under Criminal Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, he can: to deliberately break somone's property is a crime. And if, as is likely, the youth was himself struck in the process (e.g. his hand hit), he could press charges for assault, too. He could also sue the employee personally, and possibly the store, too, for the cost of replacing his camera; he could do this on a cost-effective basis in small claims court, as his own attorney or "pro se."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption