Can you move out at age 16 without your parents knowing?

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you move out at age 16 without your parents knowing?

Asked on September 10, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

At age 16, you are still considered a minor.  If you move out without your parents knowing, then you would be considered a runaway.  Your parents could call the police and have you returned to your home.  If there are issues in your home that are making it unsafe for you to be there, you would be better off talking to a counselor or teacher at school.  They are trained to handle issues of sexual abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse, and family violence.  They can also contact children's protective services to help get you out of the home legally and safely. 

If you are moving out because you want to move in with a boyfriend or girlfriend, keep in mind that you are still considered a minor and your girlfriend/boyfriend could be charged with a felony offense for having even consensual sexual relations with you.  As a minor you will also be prevented from entering into contracts like lease or phone agreements. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption