Can you just throw someone out of your house who has lived there for 3 years but has not paid rent and is not on the lease?

UPDATED: Jan 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you just throw someone out of your house who has lived there for 3 years but has not paid rent and is not on the lease?

I am the owner of the house I never told them they had to pay rent. Can I just call the cops and have them put out?

Asked on January 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Washington


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

As the owner of the home that you are writing about, you can call the police to have the person who is living in it thrown out. However, I do not advise doing this and most importantly, I doubt the police would get involved since the dispute would seem to be more of a civil matter given the three year time period the occupant you want out has lived in your home.

I suggest that you serve this person with a 30 day termination notice of the 'tenancy". If this person does not vacate in the 30 day time period, your recourse would be to file an unlawful detainer action. If matters come to that point, you should retain a landlord tenant attorney to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption