How do I exit a membership agreement?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I exit a membership agreement?

I signed a contract with a company yesterday; it was for 3 years. This morning I decided that I do not want to proceed with the company. Is there anything I can do to get out of the contact? It does say that if I fail to pay fees on time they will cancel my membership without refunding my prepaid fees. Would I still be responsible for the entire membership cost?

Asked on December 30, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully read the written contract that you signed in that its terms and conditions control the obligations you owe the agreement as well as the obligations owed to you by the company in the absence of conflicting state law. Potentially the agreement may have a cooling off period within it for you to end the agreement without recourse.

Additionally, depending upon the type of contract that you signed, your state may have laws allowing you to cancel the agreement within so many days of signing, for example three (3) days. I would e mail the company that you signed the agreement with immediately setting forth the reasons why you wish to rescind its terms and see what happens in response.

Whether or not you are responsible for the entire membership costs depends upon what the written agreement states.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption