What can I do regarding moving my claim along in a timely manner?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do regarding moving my claim along in a timely manner?

I was carjacked at gunpoint about 6 weeks ago. It was recovered a month later and my insurer declared it totaled. I did 2 recorded statements, send the police reports twice and 2 affidavits. I’m on my 3rd adjuster for my claim and they are taking a week to call me back. We have not moved an inch on this. Should I seek an attorney in this matter?

Asked on December 2, 2016 under Insurance Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The only way to move it along faster would be to sue the insurer for breach of contract: for not honoring its contractual obligation to pay for a claim, when under the terms of the policy and the facts, they should. But suing and hiring an attorney will obviously cost you money, and will take months for a resolution: it is probably too early to do this, since 6 weeks or so is actually not all that long for a claim like this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption