can you give your newborn child a last name that is neither the mothers or the fathers?

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 5, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can you give your newborn child a last name that is neither the mothers or the fathers?

I want to honor my recently deceased grandfather by giving my unborn son his last name. My grandfather only had daughters and the name will not be carried on otherwise. The whole family is in agrees that this would be a great tribute to a great man-the baby’s father even agrees and will sign the birth certificate that way-is this possible legally? We live in the state of Montana. Thank You.

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Business Law, Montana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I could find no statute prohibiting this.  As long as the birth father agrees I don't see why this can't be done; after all you can have a name change after the certificate has been issued.  But since I'm not licensed in Montana, you should consult with a family law attorney there.

By the way, it's quite a tribute to your grandfather.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption