Can you get violated even after your case is closed?

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 11, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get violated even after your case is closed?

My boyfriend never paid his community serivce fee but since then he case has been closed. Can the community serivce person still violate him? He served time for a VOP and once he served his case was closed unsatisfactory, now the community service office is calling and saying he will violate him. Does he have the authority to reopen this probation case once its closed?

Asked on April 11, 2012 under Criminal Law, Maryland


Jonathan Smith / Smith Law Firm - Jonathan Scott Smith

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A violation of probation can be instituted as long as the violation occurred during the probatiionary period, even if the probation term has ended at the time the viocation is pursued. You don't state how much the fee is but it's probably not that much. If he's already served time for VOP and the case is closed, the judge may not do anything about it. It's probable better to pay it than risk further consequences.Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption