can you get unemployment with employment agreement that pays salary for 6 months

UPDATED: May 24, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 24, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can you get unemployment with employment agreement that pays salary for 6 months

Can I get unemployment in IL with employment agreement from an AL company that states the Co. shall in lieu of any other severance or termination benefit continue to pay Employee the Base Salary for a period of 6 months following termination

Asked on May 24, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


BP, Member, Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The Illinois Department of Employment Services may allow it depending on the exact wording of the agreement with your former employer and how much you're getting from your employer in relation to what you would get from unemployment.  Section 2920.5 of the Illinois Administrative Code ( provides more information, but you might want to consider contacting an attorney as you're also dealing with two different states.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption