Can you get an extension on probation if your still finshing your DUI classes?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get an extension on probation if your still finshing your DUI classes?

Everything is paid off and done. Ticket is paid off and community service is done the only problem is the DUI classes are going to take me 12 weeks and my probation date expires in 1 month which leaves me with finishing up only 6 weeks left of the class. Is there any way I can ask the judge for an extenion instead of going to jail? I’m making an effort I’m actually trying with an income of $800 a month.

Asked on July 3, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Russ Pietryga / Pietryga Law Office

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, depending on the judge of course.  Usually, it requires the defendant to file a "Motion for an Extension of Time to Complete Probation". It is always better to file the motion prior to becoming in violation of your probation.  Judges can be more sympathetic if you bring the probation violation to there attention.  Rather than, probation or the prosecution bringing it to the judges attention.

Hope this helps.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption