Can you fire someone because you think they stole from you?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you fire someone because you think they stole from you?

I was taken off the schedule at my care giving job because the boss said she was having discrepancies in the medicine count,and after 4 years she’s never had this happen. Is this legal? She asked if I would take a drug test, I said yes and that’s the last I heard of her. I sent her a text asking where to go but she never responded.

Asked on June 27, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The fact is that an "at will" employee can be fired for the reason that you gave, for any reason, or for no reason at all, with or without notice. In most employment settings, a company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. Accordingly, your treatment is legal so long as it does not constitute some form of legally actionable discrimination or this action is prohibited by the terms of a union agreement/employment contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption