Can you evict someone who owns home with you.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you evict someone who owns home with you.

My cousin owns a home with his brother who is a hoarder. They both inherited the home from their mother who inherited from her motherour grandmother. He just received another notice from the county or city to clean up the junk or be fined. He has collected junk everywhere inside and out, he even has locks on bedroom doors. My cousin is disabled and can’t do much. He can have repairs done to the home but the clean up has to complete first.

Asked on June 21, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, one owner cannot evict another. They both have equal rights to the use and occupancy of the property. However, in a situation when co-owners cannot agree as to ownership matters, one of the owners can force a sale through something known as "partiton". At this point, a local attorney should be consulted directly; they can best advise further on this matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption