Can you collect from both a service contract and homeowner’s insurance?

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you collect from both a service contract and homeowner’s insurance?

I bought a laptop with a service contract. The computer was stolen. I have homeowners insurance. Can I replace the laptop with the service contract and still collect on the homeowners?

Asked on February 3, 2011 under General Practice, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking a service contract is for service to the lap top in case it malfunctions in any wayor it generally needs to be repaired.  It replaces parts that are worn or not working.  It does not replace the laptop when it is lost or stolen.  You could most likely collect under your home owners insurance policy.  Try and come up with the receipt for the laptop. You may not get the full amount depending on how old it is.  And by the way, if the service contract did allow for replacement under these circumstances you could not collect twice for the same item.  You would be "unjustly enriched" under the law.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption