Can my mother’s employer fire her for declining a trainer position?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my mother’s employer fire her for declining a trainer position?

My mom has been working as a food service manager at winn dixie for over 25 years. She recently has been forced to now become a trainer of new staff. Shes never been a trainer before and has high anxiety and blood pressure when she thinks about this new position, she just doesnt want to be a trainer at all. Does she have a say so? Can winn dixie fire her or demote her for not taking the training job?

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, an employee may be demoted for fired for not accepting a transfer, new position, or change in duties. Unless the employee has an employment contract protecting his or her job, he or she is an employee at will. An employee at will may be demoted or fired at any time, for any reason. The employer, not the employee, determines the person's job if there is no contract.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption