Can my wife and I waive the income and debt disclosure during a dissolution?

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my wife and I waive the income and debt disclosure during a dissolution?

My wife and I are getting a dissolution of marriage. I have the papers and have been filling them out, but there is a section that is asking for a full outline and disclosure of income and debts. But I have also read that there is something called “Waiver of Disclosure” form. Can we get one and just sign that instead and forego filling out 5 pages of debt and income disclosure? We just want it done; we’re not interested in fighting over who earns what or who owes what.

Asked on July 7, 2012 under Family Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

IF the "waiver and disclosure" form that you have written about concerning your marital dissolution specifically pertains to the income and disclosure form that you and your spouse prefer not to complete, date, sign and file with the court, then you two can complete the "waiver form" and not fill out the five (5) plus pages of the debt and income disclosure.

However, ordinarily the legal system prefers that the income and debt form be completed, dated, signed and filed by all parties to a marital dissolution as part of the process.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption