Can we a keep a car that was claimed to be repossessed but never was?

UPDATED: Feb 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we a keep a car that was claimed to be repossessed but never was?

My brother bought a car 5 years ago and stopped making payments. His finance company sold the debt to a collection agency and the collection agency sent letters, emails and made phone calls indicating they were repossessing the car; this was in 2-3 years ago. My brother told them to come get the vehicle but they never did. Now the car has been sitting for 2 years in his driveway untouched. We checked the DMV and they say car is still in my brother’s name; there is no action pending. Is there a way to claim the vehicle since it’s apparently been abandoned or at least force someone to collect the vehicle?

Asked on February 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The car has not been abandoned since legal title is in your brother's name. The debt seems to have been abandoned where security for the debt may have been the car.

Since legal title to the car is still in your brother's name and it has yet to be repossessed and no lawsuit has been filed concerning the loan for the vehicle, it would appear that your brother can do whatever he wants to do with the car since he seemingly is of record owner to it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption