can u give a newborn baby your last name if youre still legally married to someone who is not the baby mohter

UPDATED: May 28, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 28, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can u give a newborn baby your last name if youre still legally married to someone who is not the baby mohter

Asked on May 28, 2009 under Family Law, Louisiana


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I'm sure it's possible, but I can't tell you that I'm sure it's wise.  You need to talk to a divorce and family lawyer about this;  one place to look for an attorney is our website,

In some states, marital fault such as adultery makes a difference in divorce.  You might decide that you don't care, but it's always better to make this sort of choice after you get all of the information about what that could mean.  Without all the facts of your case, and not being a Louisiana attorney, I can't give you more specific advice.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption