Can yoyou be charged for an entire months rent if u give more than 30 days notice at the end of your lease?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can yoyou be charged for an entire months rent if u give more than 30 days notice at the end of your lease?

I let the leasing office know in advance that I will be moving out once the lease was over. And after doing a written 30 days notice in, and paying the last months rent. Debt collectors call and said since I have put in more than 30 days notice I will be charged an extra months rent even after the apartment being rented out and not living there for that month. Is this correct? Can I do something about this?

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most situation under the laws of all states, when a person places written notice of termination of one's tenancy (30 day notice or more), rent payment is for the time period up to the last day stated in the notice and no more. In essence, rent is to be pro-rated for a fraction of a month when a tenant moves out and does not stay the entire month.

If you are being assessed rent beyind the date you actually gave notice for and moved out, that does not seem appropriate based upon what you have written. You might want to consult with a landlord tenant attorney further.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption