Canyou betoldto move from at the end of your current lease so the landlordcan rent your unit at a higher monthly rate?

UPDATED: Aug 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Canyou betoldto move from at the end of your current lease so the landlordcan rent your unit at a higher monthly rate?

Asked on August 8, 2011 Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can be told to move from your aprtment at its end because the landlord has a future tenant who will pay a higher monthly rental. The issue is whether or not you have an option to extend the term of your lease that will soon end under its written terms.

You need to carefully read your written lease with your landlord. Its terms and conditions control your obligations to the landlord and vice versa absent conflicting state law.

If your written lease has a provision allowing you an "option" to extend your lease beyond its orignal terms, you should be able to extend it provided you provide the proper notice required and are not in breach of your agreement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption