Can they sue me? PLEASE HELP

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can they sue me? PLEASE HELP

I was in a car accident recently. I ended up rear ending someone that had stomped on their brakes because of the person in front of them. We both pulled over and made sure that all the passengers in the vehicles were okay. I looked under the rear end of the car and we had barely hit his frame, their exhaust was alright and his car looked a lot better than mine. But still, both of our vehicles were okay to drive away from the scene. I then offered to call the police so that we could have an accident report in which case they refused. We exchanged numbers then both parties went on their way.
We then receive phone calls about an hour later saying that there car had broke down because we had ‘knocked the battery from the car’ which I do not understand because we had hit them in the rear and even if we had knocked one of the wires loose, all you do is hook them on the battery and the car should run fine.
They start threatening to call the police in which case I had encouraged from the beginning. SO now I am worried that they might come back trying to say I caused more damage than I actually did.
They received my name and my friends number I do not have a phone but no insurance, license plate, vin, or address information.
My question would be, can they take me to court with the information they have. Or will that be not be enough information to adequately prove I was part of the accident.

Asked on August 28, 2017 under Accident Law, Missouri


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

It would be advisable to contact your auto insurance company and inform it of the accident.  Most likely, the property damage claim of the other driver will be settled with your insurance company without a lawsuit being filed. If the case is NOT settled, and a lawsuit for negligence is filed against you, your insurance company will provide you with an attorney at no cost to you.
Additional information could be obtained in the event a lawsuit is filed against you; however, don't worry about it because as mentioned above, these cases are usually settled with the insurance company without a lawsuit being filed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption