Can they increase the rent and/or evict if my lease is not up andI don’t want to sign anything untilI get proof of ownership?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can they increase the rent and/or evict if my lease is not up andI don’t want to sign anything untilI get proof of ownership?

I am a tenant in an apartment complex that went into foreclosure. No one came to collect rent for about 4 months. Recently some strange men came by the complex stating they owned the complex and want to collect rent for past months. I asked for verification which I still have not received. Now we receive letters given to certain tenants stating we need to sign a new lease (higher rent) and pay for water. My lease is not up. They left more letter with certain tenants that if the lease is not signed we will be evicted. I keep saying certain tenant cause I’m at work when they come to the apartment.

Asked on October 21, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

There is a 2010 federal law that provides that a tenant whose unit he or she is renting cannot be evicted by the new owner until the term of the lease is up. For example, if you have three (3) months remaining on your lease, you cannot be evicted unless you are in violation of your existing lease. Your lease prior to the foreclosure remains in effect until its term expires.

You need to be careful that the people who are trying to collect rent from you are actually representatives of the actual owner and not part of some fraudulent scheme.

Do not provide any rent money to the people who claim they are the property's new owner until they provide you with a certified copy of the foreclsoure deed and other proof showing that they are the actual owners. Perhaps contacting and consulting with a landlord tenant attorney by you and the other tenants would be a wise thing at this point in time to protect your interests.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption