Can they deduct from my pay without notice or a explanation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can they deduct from my pay without notice or a explanation?

I work for a roofing company. My employer called today, payday, to inform me that they will start to deduct $120 weekly from my payment which is in cash. The excuse was for insurence tho they didn’t tell me what insurance. I get paid $170 a day. Can they deduct whatever they want?

Asked on August 26, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, they can't. An employer may *only* deduct pay 1) if you consent--such as if you agree to let them deduct for health insurance; or 2) as required by law, such as a court-ordered wage garnishment. They can't deduct if not ordered by a court or government agency (e.g. IRS) and if you don't agree or consent. (Obviously, if you don't let them deduct for, say, health insurance, you won't get that insurance--but that's your choice.) If they deduct without your consent, you could file a complaint with the state labor department and/or look to file a suit (e.g. in small claims court) for any money they improperly took from you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption