Can they arrest me without notice or proof of violation?

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can they arrest me without notice or proof of violation?

I’m being sued by a loan company. I never got approved for the loan. They called me today saying they sent several notices over email in which I checked and i do not. I checked my bank account there was never a money transfer from a loan company. They said they are going to arrest meme tomorrow. I never got a notice of this claim. Can they arrest me?

Asked on August 14, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you are writing about the threat of a criminal matter concerning the civil dispute that you are in is improper under the law. It seems that the representative for the debt collection company is violating federal and state law with the threats of criminal arrest under the fair debt collection acts. The threats of arrest are nothing more than mere threats. I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption