Can the Water and Sewer Authority in my county take 10 feet of my backyard?

UPDATED: Dec 1, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the Water and Sewer Authority in my county take 10 feet of my backyard?

We’ve lived in our town home for 16 years. A few weeks ago we got a letter from the WSA claiming they held an easement on our property and that they were going to take 10 feet of it. We needed to move our shed, fence, and a tree in our backyard is going to be removed. There is a sewer line that runs back there, it’s 4 feet from the back of our fence. It is not in our yard. We were told when we moved in that we could extend a fence no more than 2 feet beyond the tree that WSA is now claiming they are going to remove but that our property actually extended another 2 feet beyond that. Options?

Asked on December 1, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Assuming the Water and Sewer Authority has an easement as to your property, it has the right to use the property that you own under the terms and conditions specifically stated in the presumed recorded easement. It cannot take your property without just compensation.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney about the situation that you are in. He or she will need to carefully review any claimed recorded easement on your property to properly advise you. Until a legal opinion is made as to the claimed easement over your property and the WSA submits proof of its entitlement to such, I would not allow any movement of anything on your property.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption