Can the university of rhode island refuse a dr’s note I gave for missing overtime

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the university of rhode island refuse a dr’s note I gave for missing overtime

Missed overtime supplied dr’s note for the day because I didn’t want to be skipped next time around. Now they want to suspend me from overtime list for 6 months.

Asked on September 28, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Rhode Island


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can refuse the note:
1) Generally, there is no inherent right to work overtime; your employer has free discretion over which employees to give overtime to--or not.
2) A doctor's note has no power over the employer; the doctor has no authority over the university.
3) There is no right to miss work for being sick or having a doctor's appointment unless you had and used PTO you earned (like sick days) for the purpose, so you can also be "punished" for missing when you should have worked.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption