Can the police still charge you if they have not found you with drugs but have had an undercover sell to you in the past?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police still charge you if they have not found you with drugs but have had an undercover sell to you in the past?

I have recently noticed that i have been being followed and after doing some digging, I believe that someone I know has turned and become an informant. I am not sure for how long but I have reason to believe that it has been for some time now. Recently I believe he has set me up to be arrested the next time I visited him at his home. They have not caught me with drugs on me and I have no priors relating to this but they are still following me and I am wondering

if they can charge me for something I have done in the past?

Asked on March 24, 2016 under Criminal Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

The statute of limitations, or time time within which charges can be brought, in your state is one year for a minor offense, but up to seven years for a serious one (e.g. a felony), which would take in many or most drug-related offenses. So you could be charged for something you did months, or possibly even years, ago.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption