Can the police station deny a police report?

UPDATED: Oct 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police station deny a police report?

At the time of my accident, I called the police and they stated that if both vehicles could be driven then just drive away and file a police report at the police station. The dispatcher advised me to let the other party go and I can file the report on my own. When I got to the police station they refused to file my report, stating that they could not accept a one sided story. This has caused the other parties insurance company to deny my claim and my car is still damaged.

Asked on October 12, 2011 under Accident Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Given the situation that you have written about, obviously the police department that you went to can refuse your ability to submit an incident report. I find this refusal unusual in that the purpose of law enforcement is to accept incident reports and then investigate them as part of their normal protocol.

Given the situation that you are now facing, I would advise your insurance carrier about what happened regarding the accident and the police department refusing to accept an incident report from you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption