Can the police seize or freeze a person’s bank account if illegaldrug activity is expected but an arresthas not been made?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police seize or freeze a person’s bank account if illegaldrug activity is expected but an arresthas not been made?

Bank account has been frozen for some months now with no information as to when it will be released.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, a bank account of a person suspected of illegal activity can be frozen by law enforcement under the authority of an issued search warrant and resulting court order as to the bank account.

If the bank acocunt is yours and there has been no arrests with respect to it or the owners of the account after the passage of several months, it is probably a good idea for you to consult with a criminal defense attorney about the situation and the best way to unfreeze the bank account if the money in it has nothing to do with illegal activity.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption