Can the police order me out of my house after I had been home for 15 minutes?

UPDATED: May 27, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police order me out of my house after I had been home for 15 minutes?

I was not in a accident nor was I stopped by the police. Someone followed me home and called the police on me.

Asked on May 27, 2009 under Criminal Law, Georgia


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

This is a very interesting question.  I'm not a Georgia lawyer, and the "details" of what happened here are almost certainly important.  For reliable advice, you need to have an experienced attorney in your area review all the unique facts of your case.  One place to find a lawyer is our website,

If a police officer had seen you driving erratically, and had been following you when you pulled into your garage, this might be an easier question.  Certainly, some level of probable cause was required, for this to be "reasonable" under the Fourth Amendment, and when there is only a single, uncorroborated non-police source for that, there can be issues.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption