Can the police impound and hold my car even if there are no charges filed against me?

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the police impound and hold my car even if there are no charges filed against me?

I dropped my car off to get it worked on and the shop it was was vandalism that night. My car was parked next to it. The next thing Iknow my car was impounded and has a hold on it due to a investigation. I was out of town and have proof of it but they say that I had something to do with it, just because of my past.

Asked on December 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, law enforcement can place an impound upon your vehicle as a product of an investigation that it is conducting where a crime occurred even though there are no actual charges filed against you at this time. Many times belongings of people who are not suspects in a crime are held by law enforcement pending the completion of their investigation in the event that the article impounded may be evidence.

If you want your vehicle back sooner rather than later, I would contact law enforcement at least once a week as to the status of getting the car back from impound.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption