Can the personI was living with hold my property because of an unpaid bill of theirs?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the personI was living with hold my property because of an unpaid bill of theirs?

They told me to pay but it was not agreed upon when I moved in. Our verbal agreement was for me to pay my $200 for rent. 

Asked on October 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay I need to understand your living situation a bit better.  Did you sublet like a room in some one's apartment for a flat fee of $200?  And now they wish you to pay for additional fee - like electricity or some utility probably - that were not agreed upon and now they are holding your personal property, correct? No, they can not hold your personal property. To do so - and to do anything with it - they would be guilty of "conversion."  I am assuming that you are no onger living there?  You may want to go down to landlord tenant court and see if they can help bring an action for return of the property since the situation is as a direct result of a tenancy.  But you are entitled to the property back.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption