Can the state police suspend me without pay and benefits without hearing my side of the story?

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the state police suspend me without pay and benefits without hearing my side of the story?

I was suspended without pay and benefits almost months ago without ever being allowed to tell my side of the story. I was suspended for a joke I made to a co-worker who I have joked with for 2+ years and who has also joked with me in the same manner. I have no previous discipline at work. I have undergone a criminal investigation and no charges will be filed. I had my license to carry revoked. I had my unemployment compensation denied. I had unemployment compensation appeal hearing postponed twice. I’ve been suspended for 60 work days.

Asked on December 17, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Pennsylvania


Michael Duffy / Duffy Law, LLC

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You do have a right to due process. This means administrative actions such as suspension can't be carried out without you having a chance to mount a reasonable defnese, particularly with a government agency. There should be protocols in place for this. This is something your state FOP or PBA should be right there to help you with - are they not involved?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption