can the other person s insurance make you take it out of town to get a estamate and repair

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can the other person s insurance make you take it out of town to get a estamate and repair

backed into while parked at store the other person insurance wants us to take the vehicle out of to get estimate and then repaired this is during working hours and there is no way to get it there

Asked on December 30, 2016 under Accident Law, Massachusetts


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you want them to settle without having to sue (and win) you have to do what they want; or you are free to say "no," in which case they can refuse to settle and therefore put the onus on you to sue. Any settlement by the at-fault driver or his insurer is purely voluntarily unless and until you sue and win (only a court judgment in your favor compels payment), so they can say "we'll only settle if you do X," then it's up to you whether to do X or else sue.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption