Can the law pursue me for a fake ID that was in my wallet that the bouncer saw when I was presenting her my real one?

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the law pursue me for a fake ID that was in my wallet that the bouncer saw when I was presenting her my real one?

I’m 19 years old and at a dance club last night I presented my legitimate driver’s license to the bouncer, but for some reason she questioned another card in my wallet anyway that happened to be my fake. I told her I clearly wasn’t using it, but she confiscated it anyway. The police were not called and there were no threats made. She didn’t even ask us to leave. The ID has my real name and picture, so it is not identity theft. In CO, according to searches I’ve done, it is legal to have a “novelty ID” as long as it isn’t used. Am I in the clear?

Asked on December 2, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I don't think you have anything to worry about in this situation but it is a bit weird if you had used your real identification. It may simply be she was trying to prevent you from giving it to someone to use who may look like you but is not of age. If she let you stay in the club and didn't kick you out, let you use your real identification to get into the club, then she had no real business confiscating the other I.D. from you. If it had your real name and picture, for all she knows, it could be as you say a novelty identification or something you use to just have for fun or as a placeholder or a memory item.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption