Can my landlord refuse to return the rent I paid in advance if he asked me to leave and I do so peacefully?

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my landlord refuse to return the rent I paid in advance if he asked me to leave and I do so peacefully?

I broke up with my girlfriend after I had paid rent in advance for the next month and then the landlord asked me to leave since we weren’t together anymore and when I asked for the rent money I paid in advance back. He refused

Asked on August 13, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It is possible from what you have written that your former landlord could request that you vacate the rental and then refuse to return to you the rent that you had paid in advance in that this is what happened. from a legal perspective you are entitled to the return of your rent from the landlord. I would write him a letter on the subject demanding payment by a certain date.

If the due date comes and goes with no payment, then your recourse is small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption