Can the insurance cover my car damages if accident happen on private property such as a school.?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the insurance cover my car damages if accident happen on private property such as a school.?

I was in the drop off lane in an
elementary school when the vehicle
behind me was not paying attention
and hit me from behind. I call the
police. Officer came and he said
that neither of us will get a
citation. And that based on the
other vehicles insurance they
would be able to fix my car
damages. If they want too. If not
then im screwed. What can i do in
this case is that true.. Can i
sued that person.. ??

Asked on February 27, 2017 under Accident Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the at-fault party's insurance carrier denies your claim, your only recourse is to sue the other driver for negligence.
You can file your lawsuit in small claims court.
Your damages (monetary compensation  you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include cost of repairs to your car and upon prevailing, court costs. Court costs include the court filing fee and process server fee.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption