Cana localhousing authority deny a landlord entry into their program based on hearsay?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cana localhousing authority deny a landlord entry into their program based on hearsay?

My local housing authority is denying my landlords from the program due to an article that was printed in my local paper accusing them of breaking our local law code.  The provision that says no more than 3 unrelated people can live in a home that is zoned for single family use. This accusation involves previous tenants of theirs and nothing to do with me or my family. Right now it is all speculation and they have not been found guilty of anything in a court of law so does the Housing Authority have the right to deny them from the program? We need it to stay.

Asked on January 27, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The housing authority has the responsibility to ensure as part of its program that member landlords comply with landlord tenant and housing safety laws to protect the tenants in the dwelling, not specific to any tenant. So if there is a newspaper article about what occurred, while you consider it hearsay, hearsay is a technical term of evidence only really applicable in court.  If the housing authority is concerned and undoubtedly has done its due diligence regarding this particular landlord, then there is very little that can be done.  Have you talked to the landlord about the landlord going to the housing authority and attempting to appeal the decision? You don't have the right to appeal on behalf of the landlord but you can certainly talk to your landlord and of course, you can go on your own to the housing authority to talk with them as a beneficiary of housing authority benefits. They can take your position in consideration but there may not be a formal process for you to appeal a decision between another party and the housing authority. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption