Can the custodial parent hold medical bills for4 years and then expect the non-custodial parent to pay them in full?

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 16, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the custodial parent hold medical bills for4 years and then expect the non-custodial parent to pay them in full?

The noncustodial parent is responsible for half of the medical bills incurred on the children. However, the custodial parent has not been giving the non-custodial any medical bills that needed to be paid. The custodial parent is now asking for full reimbursement of medical incurred over the past 4 years.

Asked on November 16, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Well first off if your agreement says half then she can not request full reimbursement or did you mean full reimbursement for the 4 years of the half of the bills?  Either way it is probably a lot of money.  The first thing you need to do is to read your agreement and see what it says. Does it say anything about submitting the in a timely fashion for reimbursement?  4 years is definitely not "timely." But you will probably still be held accountable for payment.  So I would decide exactly what you think you want to do and present her with a plan to pay the money back.  First, though, ask for copies of all the bills.  Pay nothing that she can not account for, understand?  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption