Can the city make you vacate your homedue tono electricity?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the city make you vacate your homedue tono electricity?

I own my home in AR and we just received a 48 hour notice to vacate due to no electricity. However we use inverters and a generator, have lanterns and candles and a refrigerator and water (but no gas). I do not want to use the city’s power company. Is it legal for them to say we have to leave?

Asked on August 24, 2011 Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You first need to read the notice requiring you to vacate your home due to no electricity carefully and whether it is simply a request, pursuant to some court order, or some governmental regulation and the factual basis for this notice.

If the notice is that the city wants all of its inhabitants to have electricity and your home is off the grid with its own electrical supply where lights and power will be supplied to your home when most homes will be without power, there would be no factual basis for you to leave your home or real need from my read of your question.

You should simply call the governmental entity that sent you the notice to vacate due to no electricty and ask if the notice applies to homes off the grid.

Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption