Can the 16 year old mother of my child live with my grandmother without her mom’s consent?

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 26, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can the 16 year old mother of my child live with my grandmother without her mom’s consent?

I’m a 16 year old father. I’m keeping my son at my home which is my parent’s house. The mother is a good mother; she watched him the first 2 months after he was born at her mother’s home (a rented trailer). DSS has been called on them countless times in the past for abandonment, drug use (older sister; possibly her mom and her mom’s boyfriend). I do know that her mom smokes, abuses prescription drugs and her mom’s boyfriend does drugs. Obviously, this wouldn’t be a good home for our son.

Asked on February 26, 2012 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay there is a lot going on here and you need to get help from ana ttorney - or your grandmother does on your behalf.  Now, your girlfriend is a inor and her parents still have control and a say so in her life.  But she does not sound as if the house she comes from is safe or to stay ther eis in her best interests or the interests of the baby.  So your grandmother - or another adult - has to petition to be appointed as temporary guardian of her and the baby.  She can try and emancipate herself but that can be complicated.  Get help please.  Good luck.   

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption