Can Temp service release drug test results to other employees

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can Temp service release drug test results to other employees

I applied for job through Kelly
Service and they told another
employee applying for a job that I
failed the drug screen. And he has
told several people at my former
job that I failed my drug test.
Can I sue for releasing my
personal medical information
without my concentration?

Asked on January 18, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the temp agency for invasion of privacy for the public disclosure of private facts.
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would include emotional distress, loss of friends or associates, lost income, and if applicable, medical bills due to physical illness.
You can also seek punitive damages, which are a substantial amount to punish the wrongful act of the temp agency in releasing your drug test results to other employees.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption