Can students in a dorm who had belongings damaged by rodent’s feces sue the college?

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can students in a dorm who had belongings damaged by rodent’s feces sue the college?

In the dorm there are mouse feces everywhere around the room, on clothes and furniture (bed, shelves, dresser, etc.) My roommate and I have asked the maintenance to deal with this mouse problem millions of times. They only came in once to put in traps (that don’t work) and we believe they called a profession who came in and put in traps (that took down some of ours). None of traps works so we constantly complained and put in work orders in order for them to solve the problem. Now, it has gotten to the point where the mouse has soiled our belongings and we want repayment and a new room.

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Good question. If you are having problems with rodent infestation in your dorm room and school maintenance has been advised of the problem with no solution and your personal belongings have been damaged through no fault of your own, you can bring an action against your school for the damage, most likely in small claims court.

To assist your situation in getting the problem resolved, I would contact the local health department for an inspection of your dorms. If the school is cited for rodent infestation, there is a much better chance of getting the situation rectified sooner rather than later.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption