Can speeding ticket with a suspended sentence result in a denial of my citizenship application being denied?

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can speeding ticket with a suspended sentence result in a denial of my citizenship application being denied?

I got speeding ticket and pleaded not guilt. Judge gave me suspended sentence with 18 month supervision under court plus 10 hours of community service. I already completed the community service and want to apply for citizenship this month. Would this “being under court supervision” affect USCIS decision? It was my only violation ever.

Asked on November 27, 2011 under Immigration Law, Missouri


SB, Member, California / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It should not affect your ability to naturalize but you will want to wait until the probationary period is over and you have complied with all the conditions of the court order before you apply for naturalization.  Additionally, you will need to disclose the particulars of your conviction and provide all the court documentation to the USCIS.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption