Can someone with a restraining order against me, show up to my school?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone with a restraining order against me, show up to my school?

I was curious as to the laws pertaining to temporary restraining orders. I am currently in high school right now, 17, so I am also under the age of a legal adult. If someone were to get a

temporary order against me, and they do not go to my school. Would they be allowed to go to my high school events, forcing me to avoid them? Like if I wanted to go to prom but they had

an order against me. Would I be forced to miss my own prom because they want to go, even though they don’t go to my school?

Asked on April 18, 2016 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the order is only against you and is not a mutual no-contact order preventing either of you from being near the other, then if they are legally someplace--even your school, even if they are not a student, so long as they are legally there at the time (e.g. invited by a student the prom)--then yes: you would have to leave. You would not be allowed to be anyplace they legally are. (Obviously, you'd need to check the specific terms of the order to see how far away you'd have to be and the exact restrictions on you.)

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption