Can someone who is disabled be told by police to stay away from his house?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone who is disabled be told by police to stay away from his house?

A friend rents a room to his stepmom who he got in a fight with. She was hitting him in the head and pushed her down. He has a brain injury and is disabled on on disability. Can he be put out on the streets, has no where to go. If so, what’s his next step? The court date is not for another 10 days.

Asked on July 18, 2019 under Criminal Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The *police* cannot order someone to not go into their own home: they do not have the legal authoritity to exclude or bar someone from that person's own property. Only if there is an actual court order (such as a restraining order or protective order) requiring him to stay away would he not be allowed into his own house...and yes, a restraining order can legally bar you from your own property, though you can challenge it in court; and being disabled does make you exempt from court orders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption