Can someone take your name off a house deed without your permission?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone take your name off a house deed without your permission?

We live in New Jersey. My late mother’s house was for sale in her
estate. My fiance bought it for us, prior to our wedding. We both been
living in since wedding. If I die, can My son get My Share of House?

Asked on April 2, 2017 under Family Law, New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You make a statement her about the deed.  That is my focus right now. It is the document that will determine house ownership at first glance.  New Jersey apparently allows you to purchase "in contemplation of marriage" even though it was purchased PRIOR to marriage (which would make it separate property).  Because of that and the wording on the deed ("with rights of survivorship") I urge you to seek help from some one in your area who can review it.  If there are rights of survivorship then upon your death or your husbands death it goes to the other of you and no one else.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption