Can someone on a tourist visa in the US be denied from leaving the country because of $3,000 in medical bills?

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can someone on a tourist visa in the US be denied from leaving the country because of $3,000 in medical bills?

A friend went to the US for a short visit on a tourist visa. He got really sick, couldnt afford being admitted to hospital so remained in outpatient care having his blood tests done every two days at this clinic. Now that he’s starting to feel better, he’d like to go home, return to work and stop paying lots of money on rent and living expenses so that he may start to put money aside to pay off the debt, however the clinic has told him if he tries to leave the country we will not be allowed to do so.

Asked on August 10, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

A tourist who receives medical aid in this country as in the case that you have written about is entitled to leave this country whether or not any amount in medical bills is owed by him or her. The representation that you refer to in your question is not true.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption